Fantastic picture of our feet

The sylish picture above was taken by Kristen Purcell of La Vie Photography. She does incredible work and is great to work with! www.laviephotography.net.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Book review - The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen

Tess Gerritsen is most known (or at least I know her first) for the Rizzoli and Isles books that became the hit TNT series.  Yes, I've read the series and highly recommed it.  The Bone Garden is not part of this series, although Dr. Isles does make a brief cameo.

The story starts out in the present day with Julia, a newly divorced woman, finding a body buried in the garden of her new home.  The medical examiner determines that the unknown woman was murdered by a blow to the head over 150 years ago.  Julia goes on a quest to discover who the dead woman was and the rest of the book flashes back and forth between present time and 1830. 

The flash-backs revolve around Rose Connelly an Irish immigrant, Norris Marshall a poor medical student, and his friends Oliver Wendell Homes, Charles Lackaway, and Edward Kingston. 

I loved how a real-life person (Oliver Wendell Homes) was incorperated into the book.  The characters came to life for me and I had a hard time putting it down.  Several mysteries were throughout the book and all came together at the end.  I loved that the original mystery of the murdered woman didn't get solved until the very end.  And, I thought I had it all figured out and I was very very wrong.  Love that!

I would also like to say that a book like this makes me very very very glad that I live in this day and age of modern medicine. 

I don't want to say too much more about the plot because it's very twisty and turny and I don't want to reveal anything that the reader needs to learn on their own.  I will just say this book gets the highest marks from me, I was so attached to the characters that I felt like I lost friends when I turned the last page.  My only complaint is that I wish Tess had further elaborated what happened to everyone after the drama unfolded, but I also understand that the main point of the book is over, and there probably wasn't much else to say.

If you like mysteries and anything having to do with the mid 1800s, The Bone Garden is a must read!

No comments:

Post a Comment